For some reason, many one-click installers from hosting companies seem to want to use “admin” as the default user name. Which is fine if you aren’t concerned about security.
Hackers LOVE lax security, and keeping the “admin” user name is a great way to invite them in. So what do you do?
You get rid of the “admin” user and create a more secure one!
- Log in with the default user name you were given
- Go to Users >> All Users and create a new user with a less hacker-friendly user name and password
- Assign the new user the role of “Administrator”
- Log out of your site and then log in again, using the new user name and password you have just created
- Go to Users and delete the “admin” user
This is just one simple way you can make your site a little more secure!
This site uses referral links in some content, meaning I will receive a small commission should you choose to purchase via my link. It costs you nothing at all and helps keep me caffeinated!
Read our disclosure policy for more info.